Welcome to Anxiety Guide
. For a permanent link or to bookmark this article for further reading, click here.
What To Watch Out For When Taking Anxiety Medication
Anxiety medication can be very useful for helping people regain control over their lives. Due to possible side effects, what to watch out for when taking anxiety medications is equally important.
Working to alleviate some of the more troublesome symptoms of anxiety, this medication can be a lifesaver. It does not matter, however, which particular brand name anxiety medication is taken, there are some cautions that go along with using these kind of drugs to combat the symptoms of attacks.
What To Tell A DoctorBefore accepting an anxiety medication to treat attacks, it is very wise to make sure a doctor is well apprised of a few things.
Anxiety medication can be dangerous in some cases. Some of the thing to be certain to mention clearly include:
- Full medical history. Make sure the doctor knows about past illnesses, diseases and family history. Anxiety medication can be dangerous for use in patients with certain other medical conditions.
- All medications in use. Provide a doctor with a full list of every other medication currently in use. This includes over the counter drugs and herbal remedies. Some of these can have very dangerous interactions with anxiety medication. The more a doctor knows, the better.
- Addiction issues. If addiction has been a problem in the past, it is important to mention this. While it might not impact ability to take anxiety medication, it might signal the need for the doctor to more closely supervise use. Anxiety medication can be addictive in certain circumstances.
What To Do When Taking MedicationAnxiety medication can be incredibly useful in removing some of the more troublesome symptoms. It cannot, however, work on its own. For maximum effectiveness with any anxiety medication, it is very important that patients follow these guidelines:
- Take medication as prescribed. Some medications take a while to work. Following the directions exactly can be very important. This include dosage amounts, times and whether or not to eat food when taking the prescription.
- Report any side effects. Some of these medications have a potential for serious side effects. If these are a concern, report them immediately to a physician. If side effects are particularly severe, emergency medical attention might be in order.
- Discuss any new medications. Make sure the doctor prescribing anxiety medication knows about any other medication introduced while taking it. This includes herbs and over the counter drugs. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Anxiety medication can provide just the boost a person needs to work through and beyond attack symptoms. Taking it correctly and safely does matter though. The more patients share with their doctors, the better possible results for relieving stress and anxiety.